So.. It’s been 18 months since my last post. I guess that whole thing about wanting to write more didn’t happen. Lolz and stuff.
Rather than offer excuses I am goign to present to you a top 10 list of reasons why I have not been writing much on here. In no particular order.
- I don’t think anyone really gives a crap. Lets face it. I’m not Will Wheaton. No one cares what I have to say. Well… ok… I admit that I get paid to do a job and at that job my opinion is quite valued. But outside of that sphere of influence (and my mom.. who still thinks I am special) I am no more than just another random TechnoGeek in a sea of others just like me. (Hey look I have a blog! Me too! Me Three!….)
- I’ve found it hard to find time to sit and write. Usually by the time I am “sitting” I lack the motivation.
- My inspiration timing really sucks. I have tons of ideas. At least once per day I get a light-bulb moment and come up with something I feel (at least partially) passionate about enough to write about. A lot of times it’s something nifty that would make me feel I’m saying something new, or saying something in a new way thus advancing the useful content of the Internet (if that is even possible in 2018). BUT that moment quickly fades because it hits when I am busy at work, or out at Costco (or somewhere), or doing laundry, or dealing with some other thing. And then it’s just gone.
- I am a perfectionist and thus hate everything I create. Very little of what I have ever created passes a smell test with me. Maybe one or two songs I’ve written (or been a part of writing). A handful of photographs. A few papers I’ve written.. like the report I wrote on lasers for my 9th grade science class… or my masters thesis. Everything else? Crap. Utter crap. Maybe some of it really is crap. Maybe all of it. I don’t know. This post is certainly crap. No doubt.
- I feel like I have to be really careful about what I say in public. This is 2018 after all. Everything offends everyone. While I don’t consider myself to be an offensive person the fact is no matter what you do you’ll certainly offend someone. I learned that the hard way being involved with elementary school PTA (Word to the wise… DON’T EVER get involved with a PTA). This blog is basically a public spot with my real name on it. So whenever I hit “post” I have to consider: “is this something I would not want my current or future employer to read?”, or “is this something that is going to go viral (ha ha.. see #1 above) and kill my future?”… and so on. You can guess that I have a bunch of un-published posts sitting in my queue who’s electrons will never see the light of day.
- I firmly believe that I am neither as clever or as humorous as I think I am. As I write or say things my foreground thinking is that I am a pretty cool dude and everyone agrees. In the background I’ve got my “reality processing” which filters it all down to “yeah.. no one cares and you are not funny” I mean… how many references to Office Space, Real Genius, and Hitchhikers Guide do you need to make in a lifetime before it becomes bOrInG.
- This is the 7th item. Interesting bit of Chris Trivia: 7 is my favorite number. No particular reason. So in case you are ever involved with picking the number I am thinking about if you pick “7” you have a high likelihood of success.
You know what? I did say 10 things. But that’s all I got. So I will leave you in the grace and favor of the Lord.